CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

Dear attorney, I was served with a summons from the city of

Customer Question

Dear attorney, I was served with a summons from the city of San Francisco in reference to a litigation between a tenant and a landlord, and I am a realty agent for the owner. I been named in the suit as co defendant, I am a retired person and have no income please tell me what shall I do, thanks
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 7 months ago.
Dear Customer,You are going to want to ensure that you file a "responsive pleading" (an answer, a motion to strike, or a demurrer) within 30 days of the date of filing.If you fail to file a responsive pleading, the plaintiff will "take your default" and you will lose the ability to defend the action on its merits (assert appropriate defenses, such as identifying whether or not you are liable, etc.).You can also consider filing a "cross complaint" against other parties - for example if you believe that the causes of action are due to conduct or actions by your former client (the landlord), you may want to file a cross-complaint for indemniety against the landlord (so if you end up owing the plaintiff, you can get reimbursed by the landlord).If this is a small claims action, you can find most information online (see: http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-smallclaims.htm).However, if this is a "limited civil" (up to $25,000) or "unlimited civil" (all other matters) you will want to visit your local law library (http://sflawlibrary.org/location-and-hours) and review the practice guide "Civil Procedure Before Trial" by the Rutter Group (in my opinion this is the easiest to use practice guide and walks you through how to go about litigating a civil matter).