barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years

If the landlord requires me to water the lawn and plants a

Customer Question

If the landlord requires me to water the lawn and plants a certain number of days a week for a specified period of time am i responsible for the water bill
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Was this a part of your written lease contract that you had to water them?.Or did he just tell you verbally that you had to do so?.If so, was there any agreement that the landlord would contribute to your water bill?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Its in the new rental agreement wich i haven't signed yet and their was no offer to pay for part of the bill but its written i am to water the lawn and bushes front and backyards at least 2 times a week for at least 30 mins per watering
Ok, then if the landlord is not offering to pay anything towards the water, then there is no legal obligation for them to do so and the burden would be on you. With that said, if the landlord won't negotiate on this by reducing the rent a bit or giving you a credit for some amount during the watering season, then you are stuck with either paying the bill or rejecting the lease and moving elsewhere..But I think you are well within your rights to seek to negotiate some reduction or credit if the landlord wants you to go to the trouble of maintaining his yard. As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years.....thanksBarrister