LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Disputes, Leases, Evictions, Foreclosures.
9540344

I have lived in a Townhouse in Nixa then 10 years.

Customer Question

I have lived in a Townhouse in Nixa for more then 10 years. I signed a lease the first year. After the first year no lease was required. I am 64 years old and on perm disability. I have never had a problem with the owner. In fact we have always had a good relationship! My rent is always on time and of course I take care of her property.
Unfortunately she had fell into serious health issues. Though she continues to work ( she is in her 80's), she hired a management company. I have been screamed and threatened at by the man, Chad (and I did'nt even know who he was). He has cussed me out like a crazy man! Since Dec. 2015, this management company has been sending me a new years lease. I have not been well and eventually want to get a smaller rental to care for and save a little money. The letters give me 15 days or vacate!, which for health reasons right now I am not able. I have called and spoke to owner and she has told them I don't have to have a lease.
Of course they were angry that I turned to the owner. After 3 attempts and many threats, they have given me 15 days to sign or move. The problem, I Do not wish to sign a years lease. A month to month would be fine. Due to their behavior, my stress level is high. I have never experienced such unprofessional behavior!
Well again I contacted the owne last night , May 1st. Again she told me I did'nt need the lease since I have been with her for many years. She said she would speak to them again. Do I have to sign a lease after 10 years according to law?
The management company wrote me and said the owner has no authority, and they make the rules?
I won't to know my rights?
Sincerely,
Ms Billie J Kellems
771 E Kings Carriage Blvd
Nixa, MO 65714
(###) ###-####
Thank you again for your time regarding this issue
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  LandlordTenantAnswer replied 7 months ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. I am sorry to say but they can demand a lease be signed and do not have to rent to you month to month simply as a result of you living there all this time. If the owner has hired a property manager to act on her behalf they can ask and demand that you sign a year lease or vacate. Unless you obtain something from her in writing, advising that you can stay month to month thy can ask for the lease since they are acting on her behalf.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Wow, I am SS and just paid half of what I have in the bank for the answer. So you are telling me they can swears, scream and threaten and there are no consequences to their be havior? Are you kidding? My health has been affected by this. I have no way to move out! Please make sure there are no further costs. Thank you
Their behavior is not acceptable and you can file a complaint with the state. However, from strictly a legal standpoint they can ask that you sign a lease or vacate. I know it is not what you wanted to hear but I have an obligation to be upfront and honest. Their behavior would excuse nor could be used as defense to force them into allowing a month to month lease