Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

I am living in a rent controlled apt and am on disability.

Customer Question

I am living in a rent controlled apt and am on disability. I have lived here for 5 years. I was given a non lease renewal for the month of June. I first moved in, I was on disability then. But since I have moved here, I have had more procedures done. I don't think I can type all of this. I have been late on my rent, the office says, nine times in these 5 yrs. I have ALWAYS paid the late fees and this year our new land lord ask me to pay one month in advance. I did, I paid March's rent and April's rent at the same time! After I done that I had the non lease renewal hung on my door! Do I have any recourse? There is more to this story, but I can't type all of it.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. When you say that you're in a "rent-controlled" apartment, do you mean that you're receiving assistance from Section 8? I ask because "rent control" is a legal term with a specific meaning, and Georgia is not one of the handful of states that has enacted rent control statutes. Also, were you were on 5 year lease that is ending, have you been renewing one year leases, or are you month to month?