Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

Can I be evicted to give my son with dimished mental

Customer Question

can I be evicted for trying to give my son with dimished mental capacity a place to get warm, hang out in day or stay in my car on street until I can get him back in hospital and other than a few days with constant 302's. I am 56 being hasseled by catholic nun landlords on not having him around here even though david, my only son, is not violent or destuctive. He is loud and bousterious at night. of which neighbors and my roommates are understanding and tolerating.I am being pressured and hassled by landlords of this organization. Please advise?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately, if your son is not a legal occupant of your apartment, that is, if you did not list him on your lease as an occupant, the Landlord can put a restriction on how long he stays at your place and if he overstays, the Landlord can demand that you tell him to leave. If you refuse, the Landlord can evict you for breach of the lease. You can avoid this by asking the Landlord for amendment of your lease and adding your son as an occupant, not as the lessee so that he can stay until his medical situation is resolved. If the Landlord agrees to amend the lease, the Landlord should prepare an Amendment simply indicating that your son has been added as an occupant. Both you and the Landlord must sign and date the Amendment. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.