How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Atty Your Own Question
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 9259
Experience:  I've represented both landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
N Cal Atty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own my home. I took on a roomate who has not signed a lease

Customer Question

I own my home. I took on a roomate who has not signed a lease or any sort of formal rental agreement. i now want to give him two months to vacate my premises. what forms do i need to complete in order to legally have him out of my house?
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I need to know where the property is located because some towns in Colorado have local ordinances that may apply.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The town is Lakewood, CO (zip code 80226)
Thank you
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 12 months ago.
Lakewood has no local eviction control ordinance. How long has the lodger been there? Does the lodger pay rent? Do you share the common areas of the property?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
he has been there since Sep 2015. He pays rent and does share common areas however he is essentially taking over the home and i need him out.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 12 months ago.
You can give him a notice of termination of tenancy of at least 30 days for a month to month rental, see page 6 of The notice has to be in writing and you should keep a copy. If he fails to vacate after 30 days, you can sue to evict. You can get a free consultation from some of the local landlord tenant attorneys listed here. I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you!
Since we dont have a formal rental agreement and the rent paid has been on and off i still need to go through this?
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 12 months ago.
If it was a month to month rental you have to give a 30 day notice. If you give a shorter notice to quit or pay past due rent, the person can just pay the rent and you would then have to give a 30 day notice. You said you want the person out so you may as well use a 30 day notice. After the person is out you can sue in small claims court for any past due rent.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions