Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I asked my landlord could i pay half the rent when it was due

Customer Question

I asked my landlord could i pay half the rent when it was due and the other half two weeks from the date i paid, she said yes. The day i was to pay she said she didnt want the money and told me she was giving me 30 days to move. The same day she also said if i dont move before the next due date i would have to pay rent for next month. The same week she wrote a letter stating i had 7 days what are my rights and what should i do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Do you have a written lease agreement for a specific term? Also, what state are you in?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When i first moved we had a lease for a year but the landlord lost it and we agreed on a month to month lease. Alabama
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing really in writing only through text.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Ok. Thanks. If you haven't paid all of your rent, the landlord can give you a 7 day notice to pay rent or vacate.......and if you don't get the rent paid up, your landlord can proceed with an eviction action. Otherwise, the landlord owes you a 30 day notice to cancel the lease and require you to vacate if you have a month-to-month lease.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Here's a good link you can read: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/eviction-notices-nonpayment-rent-alabama.html
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried to pay her on the day we agreed upon but she said keep it she didnt want to rent the house anymore. This was tuesday she told me tuesday 30 days but today she said 7. She said she just want me to leave. She also text me and asked have i started moving my stuff. Its not even been a week and im not behind on rent im late which is due to her stupidity
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
The 7 day period is a notice to pay rent before starting an eviction proceeding.......so that's not going to be a timeframe in which you'd have to vacate. Either the landlord would have to give you 30 days notice OR file an eviction after giving you a 7 day notice to pay up (if you don't bring the rent current).
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!