RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

My friend was illegally locked out after living and paying

Customer Question

my friend was illegally locked out after living and paying rent with a friend. can he take the friend to court and sue for being illegally evicted .
the state is
washington
can he
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer.Yes, if he was unlawfully evicted without a court order, he can sue for damages that he incurred. That can include things like having to pay for new temporary housing, storage for their belongings, etc. If their damages are $5,000 or less, they could file in small claims court, which is generally less expensive and does not require a lawyer. More information about small claims court in Washington State can be found here. If you need clarification or additional information please reply and I'm happy to assist you further.
Your complete satisfaction is my goal. If you need additional information or clarification about my answer, please reply, and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces (3-5 stars/happy faces) as that is the only way experts such as myself are compensated on this site for our time and expertise, even if you have left a deposit. It doesn't cost you anything extra to leave a rating. Thank you.