Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.

My husband signed a lease disabled stepson. The apartment

Customer Question

My husband signed a lease for his disabled stepson. The apartment management is releasing my son from the lease due to medical reasons. But states that my husband is responsible for the notice plus 2 months rent to break the lease early. My husband has never lived there nor used that address for any mail. the rent statement was always addressed to my son. Is my husband really responsible / can they make him pay this ? Thank You.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 6 months ago.
If your husband signed the lease as a signatory or guarantor he is liable under the lease.If he is being released early, technically landlord can recover for entire term of lease or until find a new tenant whichever is less.Here, if tenant is ending lease early, landlord normally will seek some penalty to release everyone, including your husband. He can negotiate for less. Practically, if you can find a replacement tenant or subtenant, landlord may agree and take nothing in penalty since has no loss.
Kindly let me know if that is fast and acceptable.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 5 months ago.
Kindly rate me positively.