Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

I want to add a clause to my lease that states something like

Customer Question

I want to add a clause to my lease that states something like if I get a job at least 50 miles away I can break the lease. I live in VA and they don't have a law that states that and I am not military. How can I find language like that to add to my lease please?
JA: The Landlord-Tenant Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Sorry my name is Rhonda
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer should know?
Customer: No. I don't want to miss a great job opportunity because of a lease.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Try this as a template:"In the event tenant accepts new employment, and the site of such employment is 50 miles or more from the leased premises, Tenant may terminate the Lease upon one month's written notice to landlord, after which Tenant and Landlord shall be released from any further obligation to each other under the lease, other than the refund or utilization of Tenant's Earnest Money Deposit."
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.