Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.

I own a two family home in Kenmore, NY. I leased the upper

Customer Question

I own a two family home in Kenmore, NY. I leased the upper on March 1st of this year with a one year lease. The tenants have split up and want to just break the lease and move out immediately. I've never had this happen before and I have no idea what legal rights I have. Are they responsible for the rent for the remaining months on the lease? What should I do? Thank you very much. Sincerely, ***** *****
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Does the lease contain any provision for early termination?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.Without a provision in the lease for early termination, you have no obligation to let them off the hook. In other words, your lease is not an agreement to partner in their misfortune.The people who signed the lease remain obligated and continue to owe you rent until the lease terminates or until you find a new tenant. You can allow them to sublet, if it is not prohibited in the lease, but they will be liable for the rent whether the subtenant pays or not. If they refuse you can sue them for rent. If the lease allows, you will also be entitled to be reimbursed your attorney fees and other costs of collection.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Did you have further questions before you rate my service to you