Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

Our tenants stove broke shortly after they moved in to our

Customer Question

Our tenants stove broke shortly after they moved in to our property. We had American Home Shield insurance in force at the time. So we told them if they paid the $45 service fee we would ask our insurance company to repair their stove or provide a new stove for the property. The tenant has moved and now is asking us to pay for the stove ($400) because as he sees it . . . They took advantage of our insurance company and agreed to allow them to put in the stove, therefore it now belongs to them. Is this right?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 7 months ago.
If the stove belonged to the tenant, tenant covers the cost.If stove provided as part of rental, landlord pays.If stove belongs to either one, but tenant caused the damage, tenant pays.
Kindly let me know if that is clear, and if I can clarify anything, please ask me.