Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

Yes,, I have been trying to get my sister hooked up, well

Customer Question

yes,hello, I have been trying to get my sister hooked up, well we found her a man,or what I thought was a man,he lived in a differant state,but he brought all his belongings out here with us, and stayed a week,than,went back,to the state that he left,leaving all his things here,and it took my sister 6 days to get in touch with him,because he didn't, want to talk with her,we rent,but he left without a word to anyone,what do we do with his belongings
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to send him a written notice setting a date for all of his things to be removed. You need to give him a reasonable time, which the courts hold to be 30 days. Tell him in the letter that if he does not remove his things by that date they will be placed at the curb and you are no longer responsible for them. If he does not pick them up then, you take pictures of everything in the house, then put it all at the curb and take pictures of it at the curb in case he tries to later make a claim against you for his property.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we already told him on the phone
is that wrong
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are in the country,no curbs
You need to document it in writing, this way if he tries to sue for his property or claim you stole it, you have proof he was given notice.
You would put it out where you normally put the trash, curb is just a slang term for putting it out with the trash.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i do that from aphone
If all you have is his phone number and do not have his address where you can write an actual letter, then you can send him notice by text and you need to save that text message.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have both,plus facebook
Thank you for your reply.
If you have his home address, you MUST send him a written letter, that is the best evidence if he takes you to court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even if i talk with him on the phone
Yes, even if you talk to him on the phone. You talking to him on the phone is not evidence acceptable in court, but that letter is proof you sent him notice and that is what courts want a letter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even though he left and never told us, he wasn't coming back
Yes, that does not give you the right to keep his things or throw them away. You have to give him notice to protect yourself from him claiming that you stole it or refused to return it (happens all the time and we see the fallout for that). So do it the right way, even though it may seem inconvenient to you and you will be legally protected from anything he tries to claim later.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so even with him leaving his things here,he can blame me,without proof i took anything
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, it happens all the time and if you do not give him time to get his things and keep proof you did so, he can sue you for the value of his property and can even seek to file criminal charges for theft. We see this in our offices daily where people come in facing theft charges or being sued in exactly the same situation you are describing. If they have the required proof, they get off and they get everything dismissed, if not many times they are at least forced to pay the value of the property.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I pay the rent,I have to be the one to send him a letter
Since you pay the rent it should come from you, but legally it would be valid whether it came from you or your sister.