barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Can you get evicted from a property that you have lived at

Customer Question

Can you get evicted from a property that you have lived at for 8 years that required no rent and all the utilities are in your name
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can you tell me what state this is in?.Are you under any type of written fixed term lease?.And the tenant paid no rent, just utilities, correct?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
va, no lease, yes just utilities
Ok, then legally you would be a month to month tenant and the landlord could terminate the tenancy with a written 30 day notice. Then they would have to pursue a formal eviction through the courts if you didn't move out within that period..So yes, the landlord can terminate your tenancy and then evict you with proper notice...thanksBarrister