Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

I have rats in my house. I rent this house the landlord will

Customer Question

I have rats in my house. I rent this house the landlord will not fix the roof, which is where they're getting in.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We need a new roof. We've told the landlord. We have told them about the rats in the attic & have gotten brave enough to roam the house. They told us we had to exterminate ourselves, which we have called professionals as well as tried it on our own. The professionals have told us we need to seal the house. He pointed to places around the roof where they are getting in. The landlord knows we need a new roof, since we've had leaks which they've needed to repair. They sent workers to repair the leaks.... by patching up the the ceiling. They even told us we need a new roof. We have roofing companies coming to our house several times a month trying to get our business. Because it s clear from the road, we need a new roof. The biggest problem now, is the rat infestation. I'm fed up.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening. What state are you in? Does your lease say who is responsible for pest control (it's allowed in some states)? Also, has the landlord been notified of the problem in writing?