barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

The home I am living in has a serious leak in the roof and

Customer Question

The home I am living in has a serious leak in the roof and the landlord has refused to fix it. There is a great deal of black mold because of this. The landlord is now threatening to raise the rent from $1200.00 to $1700.00. I am looking to buy or rent in CT but nothing is available in our price range. What is my recourse.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Have you contacted the local Code Enforcement or Housing Inspector to come out and inspect the property?.Have you taken lots of photos of the mold and leak and any damages?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No to both questions
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't want to deceive you, I am writing for one of my parishioners. As pastor I try my best to support those that feel overwhelmed and lost. I am also doing my best to clear of their credit rating hoping that they may be able to get a mortgage and purchase a home in this area, Sharon, CT
Ok, first step they need to do is give Code Enforcement or the local Housing Inspector a call to get them out to inspect. You will want to have them take lots of photos for later evidence if necessary as well..The inspector can cite the landlord for the violation and force them to make repairs. That serves a two fold purpose...first it will force the landlord to make the repairs...and second it will give them solid evidence that any rent increase was in retaliation for them exercising your legal right to contact the city about the problem. That is illegal for a landlord to do and would give them grounds to sue them for illegal retaliation. Judges don't take it very easy on landlords who act this way..And no worries, I answer questions based on the situation, not who is asking..As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years.....thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I need to terminate at my end hoping to receive your answer tomorrow.***@******.***
pastor Francis Fador
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If I contact the housing inspector and he deems the house unfit to live in, my parishioners have no place to go. They have 3 young children. That is my fear!
If the house is condemned, then the landlord would have a legal obligation to put them up in a hotel until repairs were made at his expense. A lease is a contract where the landlord has to provide a habitable dwelling and the tenant has to pay rent and not damage the property. If the dwelling is uninhabitable, the landlord is in breach and they can then sue him in small claims court for the cost of any hotel stay if he didn't voluntarily put them up in one until repairs were completed. If he failed to do so, this could result in punitive damages being ordered by the judge to set an example and deter future similar conduct on the part of the landlord..Judges don't put up with this kind of nonsense from landlord and will ding them pretty hard for behavior like this...thanksBarrister