Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney

Our landlord has been trying to get us out of this apartment

Customer Question

our landlord has been trying to get us out of this apartment since he bought the 8-family building in 2003. we've been to court and we won the case. he's offered money and we turned it down. Now he's sent a letter stating he will be demolishing the building and we have to move. But at the same time he is reparing and painting the hallways and fixing problems in the apartments. What can I do in this situation. This is harrassment. and I'm tired of it. please help
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. An owner must apply to the New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR) for an order giving him/her permission to "withdraw the building from the rental market," that is, to evict the tenants. In such an application, the owner must state that his/her purpose is to demolish the existing structure and to erect a new one on the same site. Since 1974, very few owner applications necessary for demolition have been approved. Of the handful that have, the tenants, through legal proceedings, have challenged successfully the decisions and have either stopped or delayed the project. Because of the intricacies of the laws and procedures, most of these tenants associations have retained attorneys to act on their behalf.In buildings currently facing demolition, if the tenants' association decides to have legal representation, you should carefully interview attorneys in order to ensure that the one you retain has the same goals as the tenants' association. Because so few owner applications have been approved, many owners seek to by-pass the legal process by privately settling with tenants. In many of these cases though, by the time the owner is ready and willing to "make a deal," most of the building's tenants have already moved out due to harassment, lack of services, etc. Thus, it is critical for tenants to organize so that, as a group, they can better protect themselves from such owner actions. The owner cannot force you out with that approval but the harassment will most likely not stop until he gets you out. Your only way to combat this is to hire an attorney and seek damages in court or respond to each and every attempt at eviction. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?