Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Commercial and residential leases in NY & NJ & US

I have ma tenant who has been evicted. she has left a garage

Customer Question

I have ma tenant who has been evicted. she has left a garage full of personal property, personal property in the basement, and personal property outside of the home. I've tried contacting her by phone and she has not left me a forwarding address. Is it required that I hold on to this property and if so for how long or can I dispose of it?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.How long has she been out of the property?
I assume that the sheriff is not taking responsibility for removing the property. On the basis of that assumption here are the requirements in accordance with Landlord Tenant law Section 704.05(5). If there is any prescription medical equipment or prescription drugs you have to store the equipment for 7 days and attempt to notify the tenant. All other property in the premises can be disposed of as you see fit. If you sell the property, the proceeds are sent to the tenant after deducting the cost of the sale. Here is link to the relevant statute. If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.