Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I rent a portion of a duplex here on east Sacramento and i

Customer Question

I rent a portion of a duplex here on east Sacramento and i have a big problem with noise from my neighbor. In addition to that my property manager uses the same tenant to cut the grass. She cut the front and leaves the back yard unattended. I constantly write and calla nd they ignored my emails and phone calls. What do I do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
You are entitled to quiet enjoyment of the leased premises. If the property management is ignoring your complaints against your neighbor, you would need to file lawsuit against the property management for breach of your lease and for an Order from the Court for the Landlord to respect your lease. You can also use the noise issue to break the lease, if you want to. You can obtain complaint forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What about the issue with them using the tenant for maintaining the property? All the property is maintained except my back yard, for the past six week. By contract they are responsible for cutting and maintaining the grass but they don't.
If your backyard is not being cut in violation of your agreement, you must first give a written notice to the property management about your concerns. Then, if they ignore you, you would add the issues to your noise complaint.