barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Tenant moved into home on January 6, 2016. Recently she

Customer Question

Tenant moved into home on January 6, 2016. Recently she stated that she saw a mice several times. We put out traps and poison but haven't caught anything. We also did not locate any mice droppings. We hired Orkin to come to the home. Three appointments were scheduled at a time chosen by the tenant. However, she was never home when they arrived. I believe she is deliberately lying and refusing to allow us to inspect the home in her absence. What recourse do we have? Or better yet, what type of letter can we write that would enable us to enter the home without her permission. That said, I believe someone else is living in the home. She is on section 8.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can you tell me what state you are in?.Does your lease reserve any access rights to you for inspection purposes?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Missouri
Lease says: tenant agrees to allow inspection every 3 months upon notification and tenants may not be present for announced inspections.
this tenant is not honest!
Ok, then the tenant doesn't get to dictate when you come to inspect. You just have to give them at least a 24 hour notice that you will be inspecting in accordance with the lease contract and then you can access the property whether the tenant is there or not. Then you can inspect during normal business hours 8am to 6pm, Monday - Friday..If they refuse to allow you to inspect after proper notice, then that is a breach of the contract and you can then give them a notice to comply or you will file a formal eviction action..And yes, as a landlord for over 26 years, I don't rent to Sec 8 tenants for just this very reason. It simply isn't worth the extra money for all the problems that often come with them....thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I also hate renting to section 8 tenants...Most (not all) want nice clean houses then trash them.. The problem is that my homes are newly renovated but are not in a area desired by many market tenants. Right now I am stuck... My biggest lost occurs when many move out...I might just stop renting to section 8 tenants and see what happens!
I have to agree with you.. I learned long ago that the "entitlement mentality" that many recipients have just irritates me to no end. So since I own the property, I get to decide who lives there and I don't need the stress... Many continually game the system to get as much free stuff as they can that hardworking tax paying citizens are paying for... I decided that I am not going to be a part of that and many other good landlords I know feel the same way... The govt wants to pay for them and enable them to be a burden to society, let them house them...thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I strongly agree...I think I will reduce my deposit and try harder to attract a different type of tenant...I lose thousands of dollars and never collect a penny because you can't get blood from a turnip! Thank you for your help. I will draft a letter tonight. Got to go to bed. Will send evaluation tomorrow. Good night!
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time...thanksBarrister