Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

I have to break a one-year lease in Germantown, TN. This is

Customer Question

I have to break a one-year lease in Germantown, TN. This is due to a job loss. I have to give a 60 day notice and I still have to pay the full months rent until Dec 31, 2016. What can I do? Is there anyway I can minimize my risk?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have a one year lease, even though you have job loss if you do not keep paying the lease you are in breach of the lease and could be liable to pay rent to the end of the lease. However, if your lease does not prohibit it, you can also find a new tenant and sublease the property to them or negotiate with the landlord to allow them to assume your lease and take it over, releasing you from further liability (that is the landlord's option).
If your landlord will not allow the new tenant to sign a new lease, then you sublease the premises to your new tenant and as long as the rent is paid by the new tenant you would not have any liability.