Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney 35 years extensive and active real estate practice; represents both landlords and tenants

I have been displaced from my apartment due to a fire. My

Customer Question

I have been displaced from my apartment due to a fire. My apartment was not Damaged by the fire but I have no power in my apartment. Who is responsible for paying for a hotel room for me while they get the power fixed ?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
This is a complex question which might involve insurance law in your state; however, this would normally be a landlord's expense for which the landlord's fire insurance coverage would apply. There is a possibility that the damage is so extensive that it cannot be repaired, and in that case, your lease may be terminated by its own terms. In that case, you would be responsible for your own expense in relocating. If the landlord does not pay for the hotel, then you would be entitled to reimbursement of the rent that you paid for the cost that you incurred. I hope this is helpful. Thanks for using JUST ANSWER