legalgems, attorney
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

I live in Michigan and my roommate who has a lease has told

Customer Question

I live in Michigan and my roommate who has a lease has told me to get out over a fight we had . I do not have a lease with the landlord, but I pay him directly . I pay the entire amount of the house rent 750$ . My kids and I have lived here for almost two years now .can she make us leave before school is out . What are our options if any
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  legalgems replied 6 months ago.
A roommate that is not on the lease, but has resided in the unit, is considered a subtenant; and the person on the lease is the sublandlord.Even sublandlords are precluded from doing "self help eviction" but rather must go through the legal process of unlawful detainer actions, which requires notice. Basically if there is no set term, the court will look to how often the rent is paid (ie monthly rent requires 30 days notice). For future reference, here is information that governs landlord/tenancy laws- please note the roommate agreement on page 38 here Here is the notice one can expect to get from a sublandlord/landlord re: terminating the tenancy A tenant is also obligated to provide notice before moving out- again, generally 30 days.If the parties agree to an earlier date, that should be in writing in order to protect the parties from one party asserting otherwise. Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly-Rate Positively-This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.Thank you and take care!No attorney client relationship is created as this is general legal information, not advice; and a personal attorney should be hired if one wishes specific legal advice for their personal situation.
Here is a list of things the Landlord may Not do:
Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information provided was useful.Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site: you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly --- Rate Positively--- so the site credits me for assisting you.Thank you and take care!