Legalease, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs residential & commercial leasing experience.

My name is***** landlord came up with this rule

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** landlord came up with this rule that only one car per apartment can park their car in the parking lot that part of the apartment complex. But is that legal if a family have more cars and they rent in the apartment. The landlord said if you have more cars you have to street park and there not enough space to street park. My family have three cars they use. And now two of the cars have to street park or it will get towed. I was wondering is that legal for landlord to do that to a tenant? And if it a legal how will you solve it without money for a lawyer or to sent them to court. Who will you call in the state of Schuylkill County, PA to report the landlord?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Legalease replied 6 months ago.
Hello there ---Parking is not included in any renting situation unless the terms of the use of the parking are written specifically into the lease agreement between the landlord and the tenant. There are no laws that specifically guarantee you any parking space and the controlling document is the lease agreement between the tenant and the landlord. In your situation, if your lease is silent on this issue, then the landlord is providing the parking as a courtesy part of your tenancy and because it is private property, the landlord has the right to set the rules regarding who can use the parking, how much you can use the parking and why you can use the parking, etc. If the landlord felt like it, he could block off the parking lot and erect storage sheds for his own personal use in the parking lot and everyone would then be left parking all cars on the street if they rent a room or an apartment from this particular landlord. I know that it sounds harsh, but unless this is a public housing complex where parking is specifically included in the tenancy, then you are left dealing with a landlord with private land and a private contract and the only thing the landlord is not permitted to do is to discriminate against any one tenant or any group of tenants because of their race, gender, age, disability, religion or sexual orientation (he must follow the civil rights laws regarding renting the units and administering/maintaining the units). Even with handicapped parking spaces, owners only have to install them if they are over a certain number of spaces (usually 15 spaces) AND the landlord accepts federal or state housing money towards rent payments on some of the units. -I truly wish I could tell you something differently here, but I cannot. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time answering your question tonight. I am sorry that I could not give you something to grab onto in the law to use against the landlord, but at least this way you know that you should bring up parking issues when you are negotiating the next lease and you may be able to get the landlord to write into your lease the guarantee of more parking spaces for your unit (in a private property situation, no matter how big the apartment complex, everything is negotiable).-MARY-