How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask insearchoftheanswer Your Own Question
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 54983
Experience:  Lawyer; developer/owner of RE developments.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
insearchoftheanswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a small condo in Miami Beach, after listing with an agent

Customer Question

I own a small condo in Miami Beach, after listing with an agent we had a proposal with a prospective buyer who then went to the condo manager who told the buyer that they may be painting the condo this year an there is no money set aside so there will probably be an assessment. She also told the proposed buyer that in another couple years the building will
have to do a 40 year review and that there could be a large assessment for that.
We used to live in the condo on a part time basis then rented it out for 3 years after we found another condo nearby. After signing a new lease this year the renter decided to move and the condo manager sold our tenant a condo that she owned. What recourse do we have with the manager who is determined to make destroy our chances of selling the unit
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Larry. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. You can pursue a cause of action for "tortious interference." That's a suit where you can recover damages from someone interfering with your contractual negotiations with a another party. In the suit you would ask the court to: i) award actual and punitive damages against the manager for all her past actions; and ii) enjoin the manager from taking any such actions in the future. You would have the burden of proving that she did in fact interfere, but your facts seem very compelling. Also, in my experience, simply filing the suit has a very chilling impact on the person being sued and is likely to result in a resolution without a hearing. If you first want to take an interim step, you might first send a letter by certified mail demanding that your manager cease and desist and if she fails to do so, then file your suit. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!