Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I have a question about a rental lease agreement

Customer Question

Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I signed a 12 month lease.... however in my lease it states word for word under section "termination clause" it says "tenant may terminate this lease by a) giving the land lord a 30 day notice... b)paying an early termination charge equal to one months rent and c) paying the full rent for last months rent" "tenant may not apply the security deposit toward either the early termination charge or the final months rent" so my question is if my rent is 450$ a month would I have to pay a total of 900$ to terminate the lease and move out early?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Yes, you have to. Then after you move out, the Landlord must return your Security deposit to you if the Landlord is not planning to retain the deposit for damages. If you object to the retention of the deposit by the Landlord, you can file Small Claim for the return of your deposit. See Michigan Compiled Statutes Chapter 554 especially Sections 554.607-554.610 Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.