socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Seeking advice concerning commercial real estate lease. I have

Customer Question

Seeking advice concerning commercial real estate lease. I have had a lease for the past three years and March was renewal month. I renewed my lease for another three years. I sent payment in March 14th and received new lease paperwork all signed.
April first came and i was locked out completely from my business and warehouse.
The leasing company refused my requests for anything. I sought for attorneys and I kept receiving same answer that they have to see the lease in order to do anything. I explained all my paperwork and lease and all my belongings are in that warehouse /offices i am leasing, but cant get in.
I have more than 500k worth of goods in the place, as well as 2 vehicles worth nearly 200k alone. On the evening of April 1st, i approached the place , and found to be locked out, and peering in the wondow everything was removed already.
This is in Virginia.
Seeking advice for next move.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 months ago.
Hello, To clarify, you paid for the new lease, and were subsequently locked out of the warehouse -- and, you don't have a copy of the lease, because it was in the warehouse, and all of your property has already been removed? Do you have a copy of your check for the lease payment?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do have a copy of the last lease payment made. Although according to my records the check was never cashed as yet. But they did issue my new lease, so I would assume they new i had paid before lease was renewed and sent to me.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I wasnt sure i even had an answer to this until i just discovered it. I was charged last time not only for an appointment, but for the answering. Ive never had that done like that on here before.
It's not clear that you can prove the landlord accepted the new lease. Assuming you cannot, then you would still have an action against the landlord for conversion, because your personal property appears to have been taken without just cause. This is a complicated lawsuit. I never like to tell customers that the answer to their question is: "hire a lawyer," because the customer inevitably gets angry, and responds with, "If I could afford a lawyer, I wouldn't have asked a question at Justanswer!" Or, alternatively, "Telling me to hire a lawyer is not an answer. I could have figured that out myself." Unfortunately, a conversion lawsuit is a big deal. I could write 10,000 words on how to pursue this sort of case. And, once I did, you still would be unlikely to prevail, because most attorneys would mess up this type of action without prior experience. The best that I can offer is a link to a reputable lawyer referral service. You will get nowhere without legal representation, in my opinion. Please don't shoot the messenger. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using Justanswer!