Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.

I signed a 2 year lease with my landlord last year. The full

Customer Question

I signed a 2 year lease with my landlord last year. The full year is coming up in May and I have to break the lease because I had a death in the family and have to move in with my grandparents to take care of them. Can my landlord sue me for the remaining year? I gave them a 30 day notice on April 1
JA: OK. The Landlord-Tenant Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: No thats everything
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: I keep clicking the continue button but its not routing me to the other page
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Does the lease provide in its terms the right for the tenant to terminate before the end of the lease term?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No the lease was a $5 lease agreement from staples. There were no terms for ending the lease before the 2 year period. They also wanted first, last and deposit but asking for last months rent in california is illegal. So instead of asking for the last months rent in a lump sum, they upped the rent and extra $100/month (rent went from $2288/month-$2388/month) so they could get the last months rent unnoticeably
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So can they sue me for the remaining year?
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately, without a termination provision you are indeed, liable for rent until the end lease term, unless they find a new tenant or you arrive at a negotiated release.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
And is a 2 year lease agreement legal in the state of california?
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Two years is the legal limit for a residential lease in CA.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you for your help
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for using JA. Best of luck to you.