Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

The landlord has serious open code violations and didn't tell

Customer Question

The landlord has serious open code violations and didn't tell me until after the lease was signed and 2 months went by. Is the lease void because landlord deceived me?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The landlord is in breach of your lease ONLY if those code violations interfere with your peaceable use and enjoyment of the property or if they make the premises not habitable. Just because a landlord has code violations, which they are not obligated to disclose to the tenant, does not void the lease. It is a breach of lease only if those violations make the premises not habitable or they interfere with your ability to use and live in the premises. If that is the case, then you have grounds to terminate the lease by giving him notice to cure those violations within a reasonable time (typically 30 days is reasonable) or you would terminate the lease based on his breach.