Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I recently found out that my neighbors who are friends with

Customer Question

I recently found out that my neighbors who are friends with my landlord I have dug a tunnel from their house to underneath my house and somehow come up under my house and crawl through the crawl spaces. My boyfriend and I discovered suspicious-looking wiring in the Attic that was attached to the light fixture which operated the lights downstairs. Also underneath the house which sits on four by four stealth My Boyfriend saw heavy gauge wiring that is used only for High-Tech equipment. Apparently one night they heard us talking about what a huge lawsuit that would be and suddenly we were hearing a lot of footsteps and moving above us in the upstairs and in the walls which apparently there must be some crawl spaces in there my landlords remodeled this house and the neighbors used oh no this home. I suspect that they remodeled the house with plans on spying on their tenants. The common fence is where we would hear them at times talking. One day my boyfriend thought he heard someone upstairs and I told him nobody's been here. We went out back to the garage and when we came back inside to our surprise the front door was wide open and the screen was unlocked so somebody was in the house and exited when they had the go-signal. Currently I have a letter waiting for me to pick up and certified mail and I'm very concerned that it's probably a notice for me to vacate the property in 60 days. Since my boyfriend and I discovered the situation at hand my neighbors have now poured new cement over the Hole that they had dug to get over to our property. The whole house here is Shifting the floors are warped the walls are cracking. What can I do? Can I fight the request for us to move in 60 days if that's what the certified letter is.? We are actually planning on moving but we need time to save money and he's getting ready to start a new job. I am retired so my income is fixed . we've done nothing wrong we have done nothing to deserve this. I am retired and have been designated a disability of post-traumatic stress disorder and this situation is triggering a lot for me. Who can I get to inspect this property and make a determination that our rights have been violated we are also found holes and corners of bedrooms where they had had little cameras spying on us and the holes have been patched up apparently when we were not home. I welcome your advice thank you
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Yes, you can fight it. If you have a 60-day notice to vacate, you do not have to vacate at the expiration of the 60-day notice. The Landlord must then file an unlawful detainer action in Court and obtain a Writ of Possession in order to evict you from the premises. So, it may take another 30 days or more after the 60-day notice to remove you from the premises. There is no self-remedy to evict actions in California. This means that the Landlord cannot change the lock, shut off your utilities, or throw your stuff out in order to force you to leave. The Landlord must use the Court system to accomplish the eviction by filing Complaint for Unlawful Detainer in Court and serving you with the Summons and a copy of the Complaint so that you can file an answer to the Complaint and tell the Court why you should not be evicted. The Court would hold a hearing on the case. If the Landlord prevails, you would be ordered evicted. If you win, you would not be evicted. If you ignore the Summons and the Complaint, then the Landlord would obtain Default Judgment against you and you would be quickly evicted. So, it is imperative that you respond to the Summons and the Complaint if or when you get the documents served on you. For more information on California eviction process, click on the link below: Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.