Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I was poorly represented twice in an eviction case and lost

Customer Question

I was poorly represented twice in an eviction case and lost my home. My landlord has written to me telling me I have been a "great tenant" but he was not a great landlord leaving me without hot water for 6 days; no heat, leak from the HVAC, mold and many other repairs. I spent a fortune on repairs and he has refused to reimburse. there is an Order to Comply from the city and Public Health (PH handle things a little differently). I have always paid my rent on time, my landlord complains I am too clean yet he won the eviction. The judge was pro landlord. I did not pay the rent increase at the end of the lease because we were trying to negotiate for the repairs. At the same time there was a further habitability issue and the Order to Comply took effect so they could not accept rent anyway. In the end I had to repair and deduct but they class this as "free rent"! I was then forced into signing a stip under duress as my attorney did not want to wait in court for a trial. I left the property three days ago.I cannot believe I am in this situation. What can I do now?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.
What is your specific question? "What can I do now?" is too broad. Thank you for the information.