Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

I had a major leak in my apartment, cause by a faulty

Customer Question

I had a major leak in my apartment, cause by a faulty pipe from the up stairs unit in three different areas. The apartment manager said they would discount the rent for the days I was inconvenienced. It turned out to be 2 1/2 weeks. the manager said they would do only two. I discounted the rent payment for 2 1/2 weeks. I was later served Attorney papers three months later stating I had late fees. I ask the manager what was it for, she said for missed water payments. I later found out she was lying to me by one of the employees. I asked her again, she said it was for water. I asked to see rent ledger and then she changed her story and said, because of the 2 1/2 weeks that was not paid. She also said its not there fault and they should not have to pay. She also said, she called me and I did not answer the phone so thats why she did not give me the 2 weeks credit. She also said she does not care and lets take it there.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..I am sorry to hear that you are in this situation with your landlord...What is your legal question I can help with tonight?.What state is this in?.And does the same owner own the apartment above or is it some other owner?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I get the $600.00 back, I'm in California and The manager is not the owner....
Can you get what $600 back? .You said that they were trying to overcharge you for rent so this is the first I am hearing about the $600 amount..Did you pay them what they demanded and now you want to see if you can get that money back?