Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

My girlfriend of 10 years rents a bedroom in a 3-bedroom townhouse,

Customer Question

My girlfriend of 10 years rents a bedroom in a 3-bedroom townhouse, Los Angeles County. Her landlord's mother occupies the largest room. Recently, I began spending one or two nights a week in her room. I have no property there and do not live there. However, her landlord feels that because his elderly mother lives in the townhouse that any quest threatens her safety and security. He knows my name, performed a background check and discovered I have a felony conviction for a fraud related offense. He called my girlfriend and told her that I was not allowed in the townhouse because he did not want a felon anywhere near his mother. Can he do this?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. It really depends on the type of language in the lease. You have an unmitigated right to be there and guests are part of that right. If the lease speaks to limitation of these guests, then yes it is possible that he could do this. If not, a nonviolent offense on your part does not give him the right to ask you not to come and if they continue to do so maybe your girlfriend needs to speak to the landlord and maybe terminate the lease as this issue will not end well and might end up in an eviction proceeding. This issue will continue to escalate and I'm betting it will be bad for everyone. To answer your question, unless the lease prohibits guests specifically or prohibits specific guests that you fit under, they should not be able to limit you visiting your girlfriend. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?