barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Does my landlord have to pay me back I have done on

Customer Question

Does my landlord have to pay me back for work I have done on house (such as replacing worn out spigots, having a wheelchair ramp built, ect.) These are things we have been told in past to fix and then take off rent, but now they have turned the rental over to a rental agency, and I just found out last night that they are selling the house, I found this out when realator called me to set up a time she could come see house.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. What state are you in? How long have you been living in the property, and how long has it been since you first started making repairs? Did you take the cost off the rent like the landlord said you could?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We are in North Carolina. When the previous owners were in possesion they all ways accepted thenway we handled the repairs. We have lived here 18yrs. When the previous owners sold the house we have still lived here ( with two increases in rent) by new owners. They turned the house over to a real estate co. in Feb. 2016, so now we are supposed to deal with them. Since this has happened I can't send the owner the reciepts. we are also dealing with a septic system that won't work and is causing water from it to stand on the ground. We have told the owners about this multiple times, also mold & mildew keep growing on the bedroom walls, the bathroom, the linen closet, and the other bedroom we use for storage, ceiling in living room is about to fall because of roof leaking when the first owners were in charge,plus multiple other problems that are beyond our means to fix.
I'm sorry to hear that this happened. I'm afraid something's come up and I have to sign out for a bit. I'm going to opt out so another expert can help you and you don't have to wait for me to return. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's okay that you have to turn my questions over to someone else. I can't do the call thing because it cost too much.
Expert:  barristerinky replied 10 months ago.
Hello, different expert here...Unfortunately if you had some type of agreement with the previous owner about how to handle repair costs as they arise, unless it was in writing, it wouldn't transfer to the new owner because that agreement would be strictly between you and the former owner..As for the property, if the current owners won't make repairs, your recourse here is to call the local Code Enforcement or Housing Inspector and have them out to inspect. They can cite the owner for all violations and force them to make repairs to the property. If the septic isn't working or there is a severe mold problem, the inspector could condemn the house and the landlord would then have to put you up in a hotel until they made repairs to the property to make it habitable again...thanksBarrister