Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.

Does a disabled person have longer to vacate a rental a rental

Customer Question

Does a disabled person have longer to vacate a rental a rental house if owner is selling house you are renting?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Is there a fixed term written lease in effect or is the tenancy month to month?
Which state?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We had no lease for the past 18yrs. until February of this year, we have a month to month lease and the state is North Carolina
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately, as a month to month tenant, your landlord and any successor to the landlord may terminate your tenancy with one full month's notice. That means a notice to terminate given today is effective to end the tenancy on June 1 because May is the next full month. The process for ending a month to month tenancy is the same regardless of disability.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.