Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

Loren, do you remember talking to me in March about our

Customer Question

Hi Loren, do you remember talking to me in March about our home that the new owners wanted to sue us? Well we are talking to the new owner today, did you tell me that they had to file the suit in the state where we live now?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
Unless the contract specifies a choice of venue to which you agree to submit yourself to the jurisdiction of, a plaintiff would, generally, need to sue you in the state where you reside.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
CA may have jurisdiction over the matter, but not over the resident of another state. They do not have personal jurisdiction over you.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
Assuming you have not submitted yourself to the jurisdiction of the CA court, they would file suit and serve you in your state. You would retain a CA attorney to file a limited appearance for the purpose of filing a motion to dismiss based upon lack of personal jurisdiction.