barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years

My daughter's fiancé just ended the engagement. They are and

Customer Question

My daughter's fiancé just ended the engagement. They are and have been living together. He is giving her 6 days to get out of the house, but says he'll sue her for terminating the lease. He expects her to pay half of the rent until lease is up. Can he do this?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Are they both on the written lease with the landlord or is just one of them on the lease?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, then first off the fiance has no legal right to force daughter to do anything. They are both tenants under the lease and both have exactly equal rights to the dwelling. So neither of them can evict the other. Only the landlord can evict and only if there is some breach of the lease..If she did move out, then he could sue her for half the rent until the lease was up if they had the agreement to split it between them. And vice versa....if he moved out, she could sue him for half the rent..So unless they can reach some type of agreement between them, they are kind of stuck in the lease until it expires..As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years....thanksBarrister