CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

I am a tenant in Tucson, AZ. My landlord is my brother.

Customer Question

Hello! I am a tenant in Tucson, AZ. My landlord is my brother. I have not had a written lease with him, so I am considered month-to-month. I have paid rent on time every month for five years. I gave my brother 4 months notice, that I would be moving out by the end of the summer. He then put the house up for sale, sold it, and is now verbally telling me I have less than 14 days to move out. I have paid the rent for April in full. Can he do this, or do I have until the end of April?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 8 months ago.
Dear Customer,I am sorry to learn of this situation. You are entitled to 30 days written notice of lease termination (see: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/arizona-notice-requirements-terminate-month-month-tenancy.html), anything less (verbal notice, or shorter notice) is unenforceable, and if your landlord (brother) attempts to do so via an unlawful detainer (eviction) action, you can defend the action on this basis.