Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert

I notified my apartment verbally that I would be moving.

Customer Question

Hi I notified my apartment verbally that I would be moving. One of the workers said okay yea just put it in writing but didn't give me a form to do so. I came back and told them again and she said well now you can't leave until the 19th of April because I gave it to her in writing for the 19th of March. So I have to stay in the apt until April. She told me that my prorated rent would be 411.66 for April. And that my lease ended on 3/31/2016. Now she comes back after I have emailed her several times and says now I have a reletting fee. In which this was never discussed in previous conversations. Can she do this? The reletting fee is 607 dollars
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I'm sorry to hear about your situation but I look forward to assisting you and providing you with the information that you need.When you are notifying a landlord that you are moving, it always has to be in writing. There is no form. You simply need to write them a letter. If the lease required 30 days notice, then your landlord is correct that you would be responsible for additional rent if you stayed past the end of March since that would not be 30 days notice. With respect to the reletting fee, what is the exact language in your lease about this reletting fee?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They gave me a form to fill out for 30 notice in which I did. I don't have my lease and never got one after I renewed it the last time. I got married and had to move so I don't have any of my previous leases
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The 411.66 is the additional rent for staying into April.
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 6 months ago.
Did you have a written lease when you moved in or did you only have a verbal lease? Is it that you never had a written lease or that you don't have a copy?
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 6 months ago.
Please let me know if you need any additional information or whether you still need an answer.