legalgems, attorney
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

So I'm in the unfortunate situation where I am living with

Customer Question

So I'm in the unfortunate situation where I am living with someone who I was engaged to, and they broke it off. They are requesting I leave. The thing is we both signed a notarized 2 year lease. Can he legally ask me to leave? What happens if one or both parties have to leave early? I am unfamiliar with notarized leases in Washington state.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  legalgems replied 6 months ago.
Leases over 12 months must be notarized ( - statute here) If one of the parties leave early they would be in breach of the lease, as the lease is an agreement between the tenants and the landlord. The landlord can sue for the remainder of the rent due under the lease.Occassionally, if one party wishes to remain and one party is willing to leave, the landlord will allow for a roommate release; what this does is allow the remaining roommate to sign a new lease, and releases the other roommate from future liability. This is common, particularly in larger complexes.
Please don't forget to rate positively- this does not result in additional charges to you but allows the site to credit me for assisting you. Thanks!