How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 8685
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

So I'm in the unfortunate situation where I am living with

Customer Question

So I'm in the unfortunate situation where I am living with someone who I was engaged to, and they broke it off. They are requesting I leave. The thing is we both signed a notarized 2 year lease. Can he legally ask me to leave? What happens if one or both parties have to leave early? I am unfamiliar with notarized leases in Washington state.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  legalgems replied 11 months ago.
Leases over 12 months must be notarized ( - statute here) If one of the parties leave early they would be in breach of the lease, as the lease is an agreement between the tenants and the landlord. The landlord can sue for the remainder of the rent due under the lease.Occassionally, if one party wishes to remain and one party is willing to leave, the landlord will allow for a roommate release; what this does is allow the remaining roommate to sign a new lease, and releases the other roommate from future liability. This is common, particularly in larger complexes.
Expert:  legalgems replied 11 months ago.
Please don't forget to rate positively- this does not result in additional charges to you but allows the site to credit me for assisting you. Thanks!

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions