Michael Lykken, Esq
Michael Lykken, Esq,
Experience:  Partner at Soares & Lykken, Attorneys at Law

I live in Glendale, CA. I want to know under what circumstances

Customer Question

I live in Glendale, CA. I want to know under what circumstances can a landlord raise the rent for a duplex, and how much can it be raised by.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: OK. I've needed some plumbing issues taken care of. Can having some plumbing work done, justify raising my rent?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 6 months ago.
Hello, thank you for using this service. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. I will be happy to help you with this question, but please understand that I can only provide you with general legal advice in this forum. Also, if I do not reply to a response in a short time it is because I am either in a meeting or at court, in which case I will respond as soon as I can and at night if necessary. Now on to your question. First, what does your lease state regarding increasing rent? Some leases have rent increase built into them. Absent any specific provisions in the lease regarding rent increases, you can generally increase rent once the rental term is over. So if it is an annual lease you can raise it at the end of the term. Unfortunately, you cannot justify an increase in rent based on repairs that you need to make. Glendale does not have rent control, so you are free to raise the rent when the lease ends or if there is a specific provision in the lease permitting you to do so.I hope this has helped. If you need further clarification please let me know. Also, I only receive credit for helping you if you rate my service. I thus would appreciate it if you would rate my service. Thank you!