Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney

I have rented out 2 rooms in my home last 8 months.

Customer Question

I have rented out 2 rooms in my home for the last 8 months. Renter is now refusing to pay. I paid all electric.wifi, water ,gas, trash.
Because she is not paying can I turn off electic, gas and water to her area?
Also, we shared living room and I need to clean and remodel, can I do this while she is still there?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. You can most definitely not turn off the utilities. This is called a self-help eviction and is extremely frowned upon. You will possibly be subject to significant liability for doing this. If you want to evict then most states provide for a very small notice for nonpayment of rent, normally 3 days. If the tenant does not move out then you can file for eviction with the courts. If the tenant is on a month to month lease it is very easy to cancel that as well if you do not want to go through an eviction proceeding (if the tenant fails to move out you still might have to evict). Most states provide for a 30 day notice a month to month lease. You can remodel although the value of the rent could be decreased in case you sue for damages. Something to keep in mind. You can do this while she is still there depending on its significance and the length of time. Notice is probably appropriate. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?