Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

Woodhull and this is reguarding trying to file

Customer Question

***** ***** Woodhull and this is reguarding trying to file a stay of eviction
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My landlord on March 7, filed a petition for eviction in landlord tenant court. Court date was March 18. I failed to appear in court on the date, becaue I was stopped on the way to court for speeding. He filed for non payment for February and March. I have since paid February. I have tried to work out a payment schedule with that would have me up to date with the rent in May. He refused that plan. He contacted me this morning to tell me that the Constable will be Friday am to remove all of my belongings. I had no other official notice about this. I know that I can't be out by Friday. Can I file a motion to stay? My grandson lives with me and he is listed on the list. If I can get a stay til June 1, when school closes, I will have time to get out.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 10 months ago.
You can file a motion to stay eviction. The motion is normally granted. The clerk of court will supply the form. Simply explain the reason you didnt respond earlier and you should obtain the stay and a court date. Often the court will encourage settlement and takes into account that residents are kids as well.
I would not delay in pursuing this. Kindly rate me positively.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I live in Maryland. In Baltimore County. I went to District Court this morning and filed a motion to stay the eviction as per your instructions. The petition was denied with no reason given. Do I have any other recourse? Also, the landlord told me that the Constable is coming on Friday. Does this mean that the Constable will remove me, my family and all of my belongings? Or, will they give me a notice that gives me a number of days to vacate?
You can try to work out a date with the landlord or constable. Most constables will come to remove on that date but some will accommodate a few days.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can't afford $60. Can I file another motion with a different plan? I
You can try to file against or for reconsideration and may get a different outcome. I wish you the best. I trust the answer has been helpful. kindly let me know.
Kindly rate me positively.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I live in Baltimore County, Maryland. Can the landlord come to my home and me and all of my belongs without the Constable being there?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Remove me and all of my belonging without the Constable being there?
Most definitely not. That would be a breach and trespass.
Kindly rate the answer positively.