Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

I need advice as a landlord in California I have a rural rental

Customer Question

I need advice as a landlord in California I have a rural rental unit whose septic has failed and I don't have the money to fix - the tenant has been there 5 years and is on a month to month - what is my reposibilty? I would like to have her leave but not sure if I an do that
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 8 months ago.
On a month to month tenancy you just have to give them 30 days notice to vacate.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
On a month to month in California you need to give 60 days if they have lived their for over a year BUT that is not my question the tenant cannot live there without s septic - I am not satisfied with your answer
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can I get advice from a lawyer expert in California land lord rights?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you investigating further? Thanks
Sure. I will opt out
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
So will someone co tact me? Thanks
Yes.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can it be sooner?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 months ago.
different expert here. Normally need to give 60 day notice. Here you may also negotiate with tenant to leave so you may repair and incentivize with some rent credit. Alternatively, you may cover hotel stay until repaired and tenant resumes tenancy. Kindly rate me positively.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks - can we give them notice for less than 30 days because of the inhabitabilty.
Only if you both consent. Short term vacancy, small stipend and return on repair is an elegant option. I wish you the best. I trust the answer has been helpful. kindly let me know. I tried to expedite your question. kindly click on a rating of OK or higher for the answer.
If I can clarify please ask me. otherwise, please rate me positively.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We decided to offer her 60 days as that is the law for tenants in california who have lived in the unit for more than one year. we paid her 2 months rent to allow her to finance another location and had her sign an agreement to vacate. the answers i got here were pretty rudimentary but thank you.
Glad to hear it and having her sign will afford you protection from a later claim. kindly click on a rating of Good or higher for the answer.