barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I'm just wondering is it legal lanlord to charge

Customer Question

Hello I'm just wondering is it legal for a lanlord to charge over the market rent for your living area
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can you tell me what city and state you are located in?.Are you in a "rent controlled" building or city?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm in San Jacinto Ca. I'm not sure if this city is rent control
Ok, San Jacinto doesn't have any rent control ordinance so from a purely legal perspective, a landlord can charge whatever the market will bear with regard to rent. If they want to charge above or below market rates, that is their option. If a landlord is too far above market, then tenants may choose to rent elsewhere causing him to incur losses and end up reducing rates back to close to market...thanksBarrister