How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 30221
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend who moved into gov't subsidized housing in

Customer Question

Hello, I have a friend who moved into gov't subsidized housing in harrison county ms and they do not have any type of hvac unit nor adequate plumbing. Is there a tenant-landlord commission that they can file a complaint there, when I called the Justice Court there they said they do not handle that.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Is this section 8 housing?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is but they have a lease agreement paying full price. I just want to know where the landlord-tenant commission is for their county. They cannot afford an attorney and our landlord knows that and is taking advantage of them they've lived there three weeks and the children keep burning themselves on the hot water because there's The Cold water faucet in the bathroom doesn't work
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they don't even have an HVAC unit it's not that it doesn't work it doesn't even exist . Is this normal ? seems highly illegal to me
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
They can file a complaint directly with HUD. See the following link:
The tenant can contact HUD directly without an attorney.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just called them and they said they don't handle that, that I have to call Section 8 and gave me the number to the field office in Jackson, MS.
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Good, so long as you got to the dept you needed. Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I haven't received any answers. I have spoken to several agencies now and no one seems to handle this. They suggested calling legal aid. This has been a waste of my money.
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.
Your next step would be a complaint to the building department to determine if the property is sub code.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They need hvac and proper plumbing today. I don't understand why they can't file a claim against their landlord in civil court.
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

They can file a claim in small claims court for breach of the warranty of habitability, small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

They should still try to get an inspector from code enforcement out. That can be done along with small claims and may produce results more quickly.