Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.

I believe my upstairs neighbor is gassing me with some type

Customer Question

I believe my upstairs neighbor is gassing me with some type of gas through the duct work. What can be done?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The police would have to investigate this claim before you could do anything. If the police will not investigate, then you would first need to go to your doctor to get examined to see what type of gas it is, because the next step would require you to contact an environmental engineer to come into your property and test the property for the specific gas your doctor finds that is affecting you. These are the only real options you have other than moving out.
So first call the police, if you have not done so already. If the police cannot find it, then you need to go to your doctor for examination and blood tests. Once your doctor identifies what the gas is that is affecting you, then you get an environmental engineer to come inspect your property for that gas. Then you can take that evidence to the local district attorney and also sue the neighbor in court for all of the damages they caused you and also for the money you spent finding this out.