Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Commercial and residential leases in NY & NJ & US
18695994

Need to know how can I word a countersuit against a landlord

Customer Question

need to know how can I word a countersuit against a landlord that made me heat up not only the basement but his apartment also without my knowledge and hooked up his gas dryer to my gas line and his washing machine to my electricity Mi i
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

What are you being sued for? How long has the above activity been going on? Does the lease agreement make clear that you pay your own separately metered utilities or is there some kind of allocation?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
gas line or meters are separate same with the electricity meter
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
been there a year-and-a-halffor no reason landlord told me I had to move
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm going to small claims court just need to know how to word my countersuit that I sent you

There was nothing attached. If your landlord just told you to move and your lease is up and the landlord has not filed a lawsuit against you you would just be filing a complaint in small claims court. What you would be alleging is the following:

1. You entered into a rental agreement to lease the premises

2. The landlord represented that you would be responsible for paying the utilities you incurred in your unit with the implicit representation that you would only pay utilities for your unit and not anyone else's.

3. The landlord concealed from you through his fraudulent omission that he had hooked up [describe each thing connected to your meters] which resulted in you paying for his utilties.

4. Upon information and belief you have paid for $____ of his utilities.

5. You demand judgment for $____ plus interest [you cannot get punitive damages in small claims court] for his fraudulent conduct.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
if I have any more questions can I call you directly

To get phone call assistance you have to accept the offer of additional services.

If you do not want to pay for the extra service, that is fine but I do need you to rate my answer as that is how I get credit for working on your question. You can return to ask follow up questions if you need to.