barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years

I live in a down stairs apartment with two stairs without

Customer Question

I live in a down stairs apartment with two stairs without handrails. Does the apartment have to put handrails to make it easier when a person has a disability.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

As a general rule if a property is not ADA accessible, the owner doesn't have to remodel it to meet current code unless they are actually doing construction projects that require them to pull a permit. Then they have to comply with all applicable code requirements including ADA rules.

But if there are no handrails at all, that sounds like a code violation all by itself and you can call the local Code Enforcement office or Housing Inspector and they can come out and cite the owner if the property is not up to code. In most situations with stairs, at least one handrail is mandatory on a set of stairs...