Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

Was letting friend stay in rental that I have if she just

Customer Question

Was letting friend stay in rental that I have for free if she just payed her own utilities and water bill for the 2 unit duplex . This unit is in foreclosure and and a year has gone by and I was approved for a short sale but when I tried to give her a short notice to get out she went to legal aid and they told her what I was doing was against the law. I never turned off anything but sha says I was intimidating her. She still lives there and I just stopped all contact and leave her alone. If she filed a lawsuit can I file bankruptcy and would it help ?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me what state you are in?

.

Have you given her any type of written notice to terminate her tenancy?

.

Is there some reason why you don't evict her through the courts?

.

.

thanks